A high-performing body is a massive asset. That’s why I doubled my energy and lost 4kg of belly fat in just 6 weeks.
Here are the 5 simple things I did:
STEP1: MINE THE DATA
Meaningful data analysis is the cornerstone of any high performing-business. When it comes to physiological performance, the body is no different.
If you want something to change, you first need to understand ‘what’ needs changing and ‘why’.
In June, I committed to gathering data about my body to understand why I still carried extra COVID weight around my belly (TMI?) despite a healthy diet and regular exercise.
My goal was simple: Identify the reason for the belly fat/sluggishness.
STEP 2: DIG DEEPER
My GP said my fasting blood glucose was normal and blood tests were fine.
But I didn’t buy it.
Just because SOME data shows high performance, it doesn’t mean that ALL data will reflect this unless we take a deeper look.
I started wearing a continuous glucose monitor and booked myself in for a 2-hour glucose tolerance test – total cost under $100 when paid privately.
By the end of June, I had all the data I needed and the answers to the puzzle: High levels of insulin resistance.
I’m a 49-year-old female with a significant family history of diabetes and cancer and many genetic variants linked to an increased risk of metabolic syndrome.
High levels of insulin, even with my normal weight, BMI and blood glucose levels significantly increase my risk in the next 5 – 10 years of:
- Breast cancer
- Colon cancer
- Type 2 diabetes
- Early onset dementia (later down the track)
- Cardiovascular events
In the short term, insulin resistance causes:
- Energy depletion/fluctuations
- Surges in appetite
- Continual weight gain (especially around the belly and upper torso)
- Decreased libido
- Decreased focus
- Decreased immune function
None of those are on my (or my husband’s) bucket list, so I moved on to Step 3.
STEP 3: PERSONALISE YOUR STRATEGY
At the beginning of July, I created a personalised genetic/biological performance plan for myself.
- I changed my exercise routine to one that increased fat burn & insulin sensitivity
- I introduced nutritional supplements to sensitise my cells to insulin
- I kicked off the plan with a 5 day fasting mimicking diet which kickstarted fat burn
- I moved onto a ketogenic plant-based nutritional plan
The system I created for myself was simple:
- Stop eating after 7pm
- Eat only foods with high levels of appetite-suppressing quality (even when eating out)
- 20-30 minutes fat burning exercise 5 days a week
- Repeat fasting mimicking cycles once a month
STEP 4: REVIEW THE DATA DAILY
This is where the compounding really began.
Every morning and before and after exercise, I would tap my phone on my arm to check my glucose and use bio-impedance Garmin scales to measure progress.
I started to notice:
- Weight started to melt off
- Fat % started to go down
- Zero cravings
- Reduced appetite
- Blood glucose optimal – I was in cruise mode
STEP 5: COMPOUNDING EFFECTS
Once I got to a 4kg weight loss, I had done all the hard work.
All I have to do now is to continue on steps 3 and 4 to keep my systems on autopilot.
My blood tests already show a massive improvement. I hate to say this but when I went back to my GP (who’s awesome by the way), I couldn’t help but gloat a little and we had a great discussion about functional versus conventional approaches to optimal health.
Now to retest in three months for the final results.
And this is how I reached a 4kg fat loss in just 6 weeks.