Powerful leadership is powered by energy.
Since obsessing about investing in my energy everything in my life has got better without any extra effort – from my relationships to my parenting, from my business to my lifestyle.
And since I would love for you to also enjoy the feeling of momentum and vibrancy that a high-energy state gives you, I am going to share with you the top three tools I use to track and manage my energy & physiological performance.
TOOL #1: OURA RING
The Oura ring is, in my opinion, hands down the best wearable for performance at the moment.
It analyses your sleep patterns, heart rate variability, oxygen saturation, temperature shifts as well as a host of other variables. It has a smart algorithm that gives you a daily performance score.
Through Oura I’ve been able to:
- Discover that exercise in the evenings significantly disrupts my deep sleep but it enhances that of some of my clients.
- Predict that I’m about to come down with a cold/virus and take pre-emptive action both with my body and schedule.
- Work out that coffee reduces my REM sleep (thereby affecting my mental energy and short-term memory the next day) if I drink it past 11am.
- Up my protein intake to curb the higher appetite and cravings that follow even a slight disruption in my sleep architecture.
- Modify my daily exercise routine if my heart rate variability has dropped.
- Have a real time measure of how stress is affecting my breathing rate and performance score.
TOOL #2: AYO LIGHT THERAPY GLASSES
Forget blue light blockers. AYO glasses are the world’s first circadian health wearables.
They’re a powerful energiser that shines a bright blue light in your eyes when worn first thing in the morning.
You only need to wear them for 20-30 minutes while you work or are getting ready to give you a great energy boost that is going to impact the rest of your day.
Many of my clients have a genetic variant that makes them susceptible to lowered moods, increased weight gain, heightened sugar cravings and low energy in winter. Once they start wearing the AYO glasses, they notice a huge difference in their energy, even on dark and rainy days.
I also recommend AYO glasses to high flyers who do a lot of flying across time zones.
TOOL #3: FREESTYLE LIBRE CONTINUOUS GLUCOSE MONITOR
You don’t need to have diabetes to use a continuous glucose monitor.
If you are interested in taking control of your energy states and take a proactive approach to slowing down the rate at which your body (including your brain) ages, maintaining your blood sugar levels as low as possible (while in a healthy range) is imperative.
More than 35% of Australians have metabolic syndrome (a cluster including increased abdominal weight, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, cholesterol and/or triglycerides). Many more have no idea they have this and just put down their lethargy and weight gain to middle age.
Blood sugar dysregulation is, in my opinion, the single, most preventable marker to increase your energy, prevent dementia (now dubbed Type 3 diabetes), heart disease, erectile dysfunction and poor quality of life.
The Freestyle Libre allows you to identify what foods, drinks, sleep patterns, exercise and stressful situations disrupt your blood sugar levels so you can 100% personalise your lifestyle.